Mr. McMurray was chosen as a Man of Valor by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (N.A.A.C.P.) Youth Counsel for 2011.
Mr. McMurray’s practice areas include catastrophic personal injury litigation, medical mal-practice, products liability, governmental entity liability, police excessive force, road design, and business fraud.
Randy McMurray has been included as a member of 2021 Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers in the United States.
He has been awarded an AV rating in Martindale-Hubbell for the last 20 years. He has been selected as a Super Lawyer since 2006. He has been selected by LawDragon as a Leading Litigator since 2006. The AV rating is the highest possible rating for lawyers.
In 2009, Mr. McMurray served as the first African American president of The Consumer Attorney Association of Los Angeles, the largest local bar association in the country. He has been on its Board of Governors for over 15 years. His verdicts and significant results include, but are not limited to:
- $7.675 million dollar jury verdict in a police pursuit case. This was the largest single verdict ever rendered against the Los Angeles Police Department.
- $7.6 million dollar settlement for a 33 yr. old man rendered paraplegic by a Los Angeles City owned and maintained palm tree.
- 6.4 million dollar verdict in an armed robbery case in front of a Costco warehouse store.
- $4.175 million dollar jury verdict in a veterinary malpractice involving fraud and concealment action. This is reported to be the largest veterinary
- malpractice verdict in U.S. history.
- $2.175 million dollar settlement for Japanese Corp. cheated by a giant US Electronics Corp.
- $2.4 million dollar settlement for a minority owned U.S. distributor of radiological equipment discriminated against by a Japanese manufacturer and its U.S. Representatives.
- $1.3 million dollar verdict for the adult son of a disabled veteran killed by Los Angeles Police Department.
- $1,000,000 for a woman who underwent brain surgery after biting into a piece of ceramic material baked into a pizza’s crust.
- $1.4 million dollar settlement in a Ford/Firestone case involving a door to door magazine sales crew.
- $820,000 Arbitration Award in a medical malpractice action which included the first recovery for pre death-loss of consortium in a medical malpractice/wrongful death action under the California MICRA law.
- $700,000 verdict in the killing of mentally disabled man by Long Beach Police Department.
- $168,240 verdict for the adult children of a mentally ill woman shot by Long Beach Police Department.
Randy McMurray has published articles and has been an invited speaker for Consumer Attorneys of California, Consumer Attorney Association of Los Angeles, Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles and Mealey Publications and CEB. The areas of publication have been public entity liability, insurance bad faith, complex causation, implanted medical devices, trial preparation, depositions and discovery, insurance bad faith and ERISA, toxic torts, voir dire and all aspects of trial medical negligence actions and virtually every area of trial and discovery practice.
Mr. McMurray is also a member of the Consumer Attorney Association of Los Angeles (Board of Governors for over 15 years and Executive Board). Randy earned his B.A. degree at California Polytechnic University in Pomona, California with a major in Political Science. He attended Southwestern University School of Law where he was a member of two National Moot Honors winning teams and Mock Trial Team.
Randy has also been an active volunteer for various programs which allow lawyers to go into Middle and High Schools in low income areas to give the kids hope and aspiration that is designed to guide them to fulfilling their education and going into the law.
Randy McMurray has always believed that you can change the world one case at a time. His cases have changed:
- Cross-walks, flashing yellow lights to be put around elementary schools so the children can safely cross the street in Beverly Hills.
- Trauma transfer policies at King -Drew Medical Center.
- Medical care and treatment for Los Angeles County Juvenile Custody Kids.
- Nursing care policies at LA County Hospitals.
- The City of Long Beach policies and practices for handling people with mental disorders.
- The City of Long Beach Police Practices for use of Less than Lethal weapons.
- Major Drug Company policies for defending and paying damages for Doctors who are sued for prescribing their drugs.
- Chemical Manufactures policies of not testing their “inert ingredients”, among many other.
Mr. McMurray has tried cases that range from Wrongful death by Police, Business Fraud, Medical Malpractice, and Products Liability to Road Design.
Randy is a Los Angeles native and has lived in Southern California his entire life.
California State Polytechnic University-Pomona
Southwestern University School of Law
Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles – January 2009
Randy was the first person of African American Heritage to be elected as President of CAALA init’s 60 year history